Photo by Goby on Unsplash
We strongly recommend that you come in for regular hygiene appointments to keep your mouth clean and healthy. Our hygienists are available throughout the week including alternate Saturdays.
They provide comprehensive preventative dental care which includes:
- Removal of plaque that may have built up on your teeth by professionally cleaning them with special equipment and pastes, which is called scaling and polishing
- Demonstrating how to look after your teeth so that they remain free from plaque. This includes advice on brushing techniques, flossing and using interdental brushes
- Helping you with specific dental hygiene needs – for example if you have a bridge, denture, orthodontic treatment or dental implants.
At Gardens Dental Centre we now offer the latest cutting edge EMS AIRFLOW® and Guided Biofilm Therapy, this latest technology in oral health will transform your hygiene appointments offering an unparalleled clean feeling.
What is EMS airflow?
Airflow is a innovative device that projects a controlled stream of air, warm water and fine, pleasant tasting powder onto the tooth and in hard-to-reach areas to remove food particles, plaque and stains. The high pressure warm water and air cleans and polishes your teeth much more effectively and comfortably.
What are the benefits?
- Effective Biofilm removal: It is estimated that just 1 millimetre of dental plaque contains more than 200 million bacteria. If left untreated, the bacteria can spread and develop biofilm. Biofilm is a colony of bacteria that can cause gum disease and compromise your body’s immune defences
- The AIRFLOW® system incorporates water heated to a constant 40 degrees celsius which has proven to be perfect for those with very sensitive teeth, making the cleaning process so much more comfortable
- As well as removing stains, AIRFLOW® can be used for many different treatment types including: cleaning around orthodontic braces and implants. The specially formulated powder formula removes stains with ease, all without harming the soft tissue or implants.
What to expect at your next hygiene appointment?
Appointments with the new Airflow system will now require 45 minutes due to the thorough 4 stage process explained below;
- Disclosing: Our dental hygienist will apply a coloured dye to your teeth which reveals any plaque and biofilm present
- Airflow: The plaque build-up, coloured dye as well as any stains will be effectively removed with AIRFLOW®. This is a big step in preventing and treating gum disease and periodontitis
- Scaling: If you have any hard calculus, your hygienist will remove this with the EMS ultrasonic which also emits warmed water. However, the use of AIRFLOW® prior minimises the amount of time in which an ultrasonic is needed, making the process more effective and comfortable
- Final Check: Our Hygienist will then complete the visit with a last comprehensive check and use fine hand scaling if necessary. You will also be given tips on how to effectively care for your teeth and gums at home to help minimise plaque build-up. The disclosing stage is a great visual and motivational tool which will show you which areas you’re missing and which areas you need to spend a little more time cleaning at home.
Meet our Hygiene Specialist in Richmond
Dr Olga Dobychina
Olga joined Gardens Dental Centre after requalifying as a Dental Hygienist-Therapist, before this she practised as a General Dental Practitioner for 13 years, specialising in endodontics, restorative dentistry and child dentistry.